“Throughout my 3 years at Bishop Stopford School, Design & Technology has always been close to my heart. Not only is it a personal favourite of mine but its staff and surroundings make it definitely an outstanding Faculty.” – Year 9 student.
The Design Technology department is proud of the continuing outstanding results achieved by our students across the whole range of material areas. As part of our programme of study all students will undertake a series of Focused Practical Activities, Design and Make assignments and theory based exercises to develop knowledge and understanding within each of the material areas. These activities are designed to develop skills in designing and making using a variety of contexts within the various material areas. Our overriding aim is to develop confident individuals who are independent learners with an enjoyment for the subject.
Within Design Technology there is no such thing as a typical lesson as students could be engaged in any number of varied activities dependent on the topic being covered this could be theoretical work, creative designing, practical activity, investigation, analysis or any combination of these plus other activities. As such this is a very active and enjoyable subject for all, students and teachers.
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3 students follow a carousel system which provides the basis for developing knowledge and understanding of Design Technology whilst allowing experience of all of the material areas. At this level all students will experience work within Food Technology, Graphics, Textiles and Product Design.
Key Stage 4
All our Key Stage 4 courses follow a similar pattern which builds on and develops the skills taught throughout Key Stage 3 and leads towards the completion of the major controlled assessment task(s).
At Key Stage 4 all students choose a dedicated Design Technology GCSE course to follow from;
- Food Technology
- Graphic Products
- Textiles Technology
- Product Design
Key Stage 5
At Key Stage 5 students can choose to follow either
AS / A level Product Design
• Rotary Young Designer (Years 11, 12 and 13).
• Rotary Technology Tournament (Years 8, 10 and 12)
- Mr J White – Head of Faculty
- Mr J Sidgwick – Head of Department
- Mrs C Walmsley - Head of Health and Social Care - KS3, 4&5
- Mrs B Miles - Head of Food Technology - KS3&4
- Mrs S Corke - Teacher of Design Technology KS3
- Mr R Parkin - Teacher of Design Technology - KS3,4&5
- Mr P Buckley- Teacher of Design Technology - KS3&4
- Mrs J Reed – Higher level teacher assistant - KS3&4
- Mrs T Ashton – Technician
- Mr G Coxon – Technician
- Mrs H Baker – Curriculum Assistant